As a Christian, I have often felt conflicted about hobbies. On one hand, I see the many positive aspects of hobbies, but I also worry that some of the hobbies could lead me away from God.
I have searched the scriptures and studied the experiences of other Christians to get clarity regarding Christianity and hobbies. Based on my studies, I will share a few thoughts that might help you if you are struggling to find a hobby as a Christian.
In this article, I will:
- Explain why Christians should have hobbies.
- Look at instances of hobbies in the Bible.
- Highlight scriptures that will guide you in choosing hobbies.
- Explore the benefits of hobbies for Christians.
- Give examples of hobbies that are great for Christians.
If this seems like some thing you might like, stick around.
Should Christians Have Hobbies?
Based on what I have learned from studying the scriptures, I believe that as a Christian, you can have hobbies as long as they don’t cause you to sin or neglect the things of God.
Hobbies can come with some serious negative effects (see Disadvantages of Hobbies) that can drive a wedge between you and God. However, if you choose your hobbies wisely, these hobbies can bring you closer to God.
An article you might enjoy: If you feel a calling to spread God’s word but don’t know how to start, see how blogging can help you out.
Hobbies have many benefits that can improve your life and those of others. Hobbies also play many roles beyond just having fun and enjoying yourself.
Later in this article, I will give examples of hobbies that can help you in your Christian life. I also suggest you check out my article on Productive Hobbies, where I go through some hobbies that will help you make good use of your time.
Another thing that you may struggle with as a Christian is the fact that some hobbies are not particularly useful. In fact, they may look like a waste of time, for example, gaming, watching sports, or collecting. However, these hobbies may help you rest, relax, or recharge after hard work.
So, if the hobby gives you joy and does not negatively impact your life or those of others, you should go for it. It is important to have a mix of hobbies that play different functions in your life (see Types of Hobbies Everyone Should Have).
Are Hobbies Spiritual? Hobbies in the Bible
The Bible does not explicitly talk about hobbies, but when you read the Bible, you find many instances of key biblical figures engaging in activities that we could consider as hobbies today, for example, carpentry, fishing, homesteading, making wine, singing, playing music instruments, and dancing.
Here are examples of biblical figures engaging in “hobbies”.
- Jesus started life as a carpenter (like his father Joseph) (Mark 6:2–3). He would also sing hymns with his disciples (Matthew 26:30), teach them, and go fishing with them. There is also a story about him attending a wedding and making wine (John 2:1-12). We cannot say for sure that these were Jesus’s hobbies because they were primarily functional. However, it is also possible that he derived some enjoyment from them.
- David played the harp. In fact, he was so good at it that he would soothe King Saul. He would also dance to God (1 Samuel 16:14-23, 2 Samuel 6:14-22).
- Paul was a tent maker. Paul would use his tent-making skills to pay for some of his needs instead of relying fully on churches for income (Acts 18:2-3, Acts 20:33–35).
- Esau (the son of Isaac and the brother of Jacob) was a skillful hunter (Genesis 25:27).
Of course, in those days, these activities were done for survival or spiritual reasons, and not necessarily for fun. The point is, if spiritual figures in the Bible engaged in these activities, it would not be wrong for us to do the same today.
Can Christians Have Fun? Bible Verses to Guide You
As a Christian, God gives you the freedom to have fun through your hobbies, interests, and activities as long as they don’t lead you to sin or cause you to stop loving God.
Here are some important Bible verses that can guide you as you choose your hobbies.
- Your hobbies should glorify God.
“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”- 1 Corinthians 10:31
“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” – Colossians 3:17
- Your hobbies should be beneficial and not destructive
“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.- 1 Corinthians 10:23
- Do not love your hobbies more than you love God
“Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him”. –1 John 2:15-17
- Your hobbies should help you focus your mind and efforts on what is commendable
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things”. –Philippians 4:8-9
- If you find something that you are passionate about, do it with all your might
“Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.”- Ecclesiastes 9:10
- You should use your hobbies to serve others rather than to solely satisfy yourself
For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another” –Galatians 5:13
- Don’t engage in hobbies that will lead you to sin. It is better you lose a hobby than you go to hell.
“If your right eye causes you to sin, take it out and throw it away. It is better to lose one part of your body than to have your whole body thrown into hell.” –Matthew 5:30
Considerations When Choosing a Hobby as a Christian
Here are some important questions that you should ask yourself as you choose a hobby.
- Will the hobby make you more likely to sin? For example, will watching certain movies fill you with lust? Do your activities on social media make you more vain? Reflect on whether a hobby will lead you away from God. Read 2 Timothy 3:2-4 to see some of the habits and characteristics you should watch out for when engaging in hobbies.
- Will the hobby make others around you likely to sin? The hobby you choose can lead other Christians (including your friends and family) away from God. Sometimes you may need to forgo a hobby if you think it may lead those you love away from God (even if the hobby does not impact you negatively). See the discussion on eating meat sacrificed to idols in 1 Corinthians 8.
- What kind of people will your hobby lead you to? Bad company corrupts good morals. Look for hobbies that will allow you to socialize with people that embody the values that you would like to have.
- Does the hobby make good use of time and money? You should not waste your time and money on frivolous activities that do not bring value. If your hobby takes up too much of your money, you will not have any left to help those who are in need.
- Could the hobby lead to addiction? You can love a hobby to the point of obsession. Gaming, for example, is great fun but can lead to addiction if not controlled.
- Will you use the hobby to glorify yourself or to glorify God? Some hobbies can lead you to become vain. For example, if your hobby involves posting about your looks or accomplishments on social media for likes, you have to watch out for signs of vanity.
Here are some articles that can help you to choose your hobbies wisely:
- How to Find a Hobby You Will Love
- Reasons Why You Don’t Have Hobbies
- Disadvantages of Hobbies
- How to Start a Hobby (the Ultimate Guide)
The Benefits of Hobbies for Christians
Hobbies can be of great benefit to your Christian life if you choose your hobbies correctly. Here are 8 main benefits of hobbies for Christians.
- Assist you in ministry work. Hobbies such as music, writing, and film-making can help you spread the gospel. Also, people are more likely to listen to you if you share similar interests. Further reading: Hobbies for Pastors.
- Help you enjoy God’s gifts. Hobbies such as camping, bird watching, safaris, or star gazing allow you to marvel at God’s handiwork.
- Help you to make use of your talents. Hobbies allow you to use your talent, abilities, and gifts to serve others.
- Keep you from being idle. If you don’t have something to do, you might easily fall prey to temptations.
- Provide you with skills. Hobbies help you acquire valuable skills that you can use to make an income and be self-sufficient.
- Help you become creative. The heavens and earth are an expression of God’s creativity. You can become a co-creator when you engage in creative hobbies like art, crafts, DIY, music, and writing.
- Refresh you. Hobbies help you relax and recharge, ready for the coming challenges.
- Help you manage difficult emotions. Hobbies like journaling, walking, and meditation can help you manage difficult emotions like anger, fear, and anxiety.
For a deeper discussion on why hobbies are important, see my article on The Benefits of Hobbies.
The Best Hobbies for Christians
Hopefully, that introduction has clarified some concerns you may have about hobbies. In this section, I will go through a list of hobbies that would be great for Christians. These hobbies leverage many of the benefits that I have discussed above.
Also, don’t forget to check out the FAQs at the end of the article.
Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘Write all the words which I have spoken to you in a book. –Jeremiah 30:2
A 2020 study by Faith Communities Today found that 70% of churches have 100 or fewer weekly attendees.
As congregations get smaller and church attendance declines, it becomes difficult to spread a message of hope to all who need it. Blogging can help reach and connect with people who do not attend church.
Why blogging is a great hobby for Christians
Blogging is a good hobby for Christians because:
- Blogs have a wide reach. Even with a small blog, you can have a monthly audience of 5,000 to 10,000 people if you do things well. You can reach more people in a month than most preachers can in years.
- A blog is easy and cheap to start. You can start a blog for less than $5 a month (mainly for hosting) and you don’t need any special skills.
- It is great for connecting with others. Blogging is a great way to connect with people who share your ideas, values, and interests. This is especially important if you live where there are few Christians.
- Blogging helps you to refine your thoughts. Blogging (and writing in general) allows you to think carefully about your ideas before you write them. Also, because you often have to research your topics, you build a strong foundation for your writing.
How to get started with blogging
If you are interested in starting a successful blog, here are some resources that will teach you everything about blogging.
- How to start a profitable Christian Blog (step by step)
- A quickstart guide to setting up your blog
- Blogging 101: A free blogging course for beginners
- 105+ blogging tips for new bloggers
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. –Matthew 5:14-15
YouTube has approximately 2.5 billion users (roughly 30% of people in the world). And this number will keep increasing as more people access smartphones and data rates become cheaper.
As a Christian, this allows you to share your ideas and gifts with the world.
Why YouTube is a great hobby for Christians
YouTube is great for Christians because:
- You can serve God in different ways. You can use YouTube to share God’s message through preaching, music, movies, and documentaries.
- You learn communication skills. Learning how to share information, especially on camera, takes practice. A YouTube hobby can help you to develop this useful skill.
- You can share your creative gifts. If you have a talent or gift (such as cooking, fashion, woodworking, or art), you share your creations with others through YouTube.
How to get started with YouTube
To get started with YouTube:
- Get the necessary equipment. You need a camera (or a smartphone with a camera) and a decent microphone.
- Sign up for YouTube. You can upload your videos on YouTube for free.
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 1 Peter 4:10
Service to others is a key component of a Christian life. You can share the talents, gifts, and blessings that God has given you to help others that are struggling in life.
This not only pleases God, but it also comes with a reward.
Why volunteering is a good hobby for Christians.
Volunteering is a great hobby for Christians because:
- It is in line with God’s commands. Through volunteering, you can fulfill God’s commandments to help those who are less fortunate than you. You may not have the money to help others, but you can always spare time for someone who is struggling.
- It helps you to be grateful. When you see people who have lost what you take for granted in your life, it serves as a powerful reminder of God’s grace towards you. You cannot help but be grateful to God for what you have.
- You learn useful skills. When you volunteer, you learn useful skills that you can use to serve in other areas. For example, when you volunteer to build homes for the homeless, you can learn skills like carpentry, plumbing, and masonry.
How to get started with volunteering
To get started with volunteering, think of how you can be useful to people around you who might need your help, for example, people with disabilities, people struggling emotionally, and those who have nothing to eat. It might be something as simple as helping your elderly neighbor with grocery shopping.
Also, most churches have volunteer activities that you can take advantage of. If your church doesn’t have volunteer programs, you can organize your friends and do something helpful.
Arise, walk about the land through its length and breadth; for I will give it to you. –Genesis 13:17
Walking is an often overlooked hobby but it can transform your life in a big way.
Modern life can be detrimental to our physical and mental health. If you are sitting for 6 hours a day or your job comes with the pressure to perform, you will find yourself struggling unless you develop strategies to help you cope.
Why walking is a great hobby for Christians
Walking is a good hobby for Christians because:
- It is good for keeping fit and healthy. Walking has many health benefits, such as strengthening muscles, protecting against diseases, and helping in weight control. Also, anybody can start walking because it is cheap and gentle on your body.
- It helps with managing emotions. Walking is a great way to manage and control your emotions, especially anger. Before you react in anger, take a long walk.
- It gives you time to think. Walking gives your brain a chance to work on problems in the background. That is why people often get unique insights while they are on a walk.
How to get started with walking
To get started with walking:
- Get yourself a pair of comfortable shoes and a fitness tracker.
- Start walking. Experts recommend taking at least 10,000 steps daily, but you can start with what is comfortable for you.
- As you get fitter, make your walking more challenging by increasing your speed, walking longer, or carrying some weights.
- If you are uncomfortable walking outside, consider investing in a treadmill.
For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.- Romans 15:4
Many of the problems we have in our lives can be solved by having the proper knowledge. The Bible should be your foundational book because it contains all the advice you need to succeed in life.
But your reading should extend beyond the Bible into wholesome books on other topics such as science, history, fiction, or health.
However, when reading, it is important to be careful about what you let into your head because it will influence the type of person you become.
Why reading is a great hobby for Christians
Reading is a good hobby for you as a Christian because:
- You gain knowledge. Reading helps you to tap into the accumulated knowledge of those who have gone before you. By feeding your brain with wholesome and useful information, you will grow in knowledge and wisdom.
- You become a better teacher. You need to have the correct knowledge for you to be an effective teacher. And if you don’t plan to go into ministry or teaching, you can still use your knowledge to advise your kids and friends.
- It is great for encouragement and inspiration. When you are going through difficulties, reading about people who have overcome challenges similar to those you are facing can be inspiring. Through books, you can discover heroes who can inspire you.
How to get started with reading
Reading is an easy hobby to get into. To get started, you only need a library card. If you prefer reading digitally, get yourself a Kindle or any other type of e-book reader.
If you are too busy to read, you can get audiobooks and listen to your favorite books as you do your chores or commute. To get high-quality audiobooks, you can check sites like Audible.
And he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills – Exodus 35:31
In today’s world, technology is crucial to essential industries like banking, education, security, and manufacturing. Learning how to code can help you understand technologies underpinning these critical sectors.
As a Christian, you need to master crucial skills and technologies, otherwise, you cannot complain when others misuse their knowledge and skills. God gives you the ability to master difficult skills so that you can help advance his Kingdom and serve others.
Why coding is a great hobby for Christians
Coding is great for Christians because:
- You can create tools to help spread God’s word. With coding skills, you can make apps, tools, and software for use in ministry. For example, you can create Christian-themed games for smartphones or consoles.
- You can provide useful services to other Christians. For example, with coding skills like web development, you can create websites for Christian businesses, churches, or charity organizations.
- You can build a great career. Coding jobs are often high-paying and unemployment rates are low. If you want a skill that will help you support your family without hustling too much, consider coding.
How to get started with coding
To get started with coding, you first need to know what you want to create because this will determine which language you need to learn. For example, if you want to create smartphone apps, you should learn Swift or Kotlin.
A good language to learn for beginners is Python. It is easy to pick up and it is used extensively for automation, machine learning, and data science.
7. Arts, Crafts, and DIY
You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. –Acts 20:34
Arts, crafts, and DIY are highly creative hobbies that can bring a lot of joy into your life. The Bible opens with the story of creation because it was important for people to understand that the world is an expression of God’s creativity.
By engaging in creative hobbies, you too can participate in bringing forth ideas, products, and services that will be useful to others.
Here are popular examples of these creative hobbies:
- Art hobbies: Painting, drawing, sculpture, and photography (see Types of Art).
- Craft hobbies: Sewing, crocheting, macrame, origami, and quilting.
- DIY hobbies: plumbing, woodworking, metalwork, leather work, and design (see The Best DIY Hobbies).
Why arts, crafts, and DIY are great hobbies for Christians
These hobbies are great for Christians because:
- You can glorify God through your work. You can use your God-given talents and abilities to bring glory and praise to God.
- You can use your skills to serve others. You can use the skills you gain from these hobbies to help the less fortunate. For example, if you have DIY skills like plumbing, you can donate part of your time to fix homes for people that cannot afford such services.
- They give you skills to be self-reliant. The skills you learn from these hobbies can make you good money as a side hustle or a business. Apostle Paul, for example, used his tent-making skills to support himself while preaching the gospel.
How to get started with arts, crafts, and DIY
To get started, you first need to choose what you think you will enjoy most between arts, crafts, or DIY. To help you choose, check out my articles on Types of Art, Arts vs Crafts, and The Best DIY Hobbies.
Ideally, you want to choose a hobby that will leverage your natural abilities/skills or skills you are willing to learn.
Make music to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and the sound of singing. –Psalm 98:5
Music has a long tradition in Christian worship. Jesus, for example, would sing hymns with his disciples (Matthew 26:30, and early Christians followed this practice. In fact, archaeologists have discovered fragments of Christian hymns dating back to 260 AD in Egypt.
Examples of music skills you should consider learning include singing, playing a musical instrument, beat-making, music production, songwriting, and DJing. If you enjoy working with your hands, you can get into making musical instruments.
Why music is a great hobby for Christians
As a Christian, you can use music to:
- Worship God. In the Bible, we have examples of people making music to praise, thank, or worship God. And the angels would use their musical skills to glorify God.
- Spread God’s word. Music is a very effective way of reaching people’s hearts. Many people have come to Christ through songs that ministered to them.
- Calm troubling emotions. You can use music to deal with doubt, fear, anxiety, and anger. For example, whenever King Saul was tormented by an evil spirit, David would play the harp to soothe him (1 Samuel 16:14-23).
How to get started with music
The best way to start with music is to listen to wholesome music that will benefit you. You want to avoid sexualized or violent music because you will drift toward what you fill your mind with.
You can take your music hobby to the next level by making your own music. Learn a musical instrument or how to make digital beats.
9. Film making
Film and video can be a powerful medium for sharing Christ’s message. For example, I remember watching the movie The Passion of Christ (by Mel Gibson) and being moved by the suffering Jesus had to go through.
Unfortunately, it is increasingly difficult to find wholesome content on our TV and movie screens these days. Much of the content produced seems to promote hyper-consumption, sex, and violence.
Why film-making is a great hobby for Christians
Film-making is a good hobby for Christians because it can help you to:
- Express your creativity. Film-making is a highly creative and fun activity. The entire process, from coming up with film ideas, writing the script, filming the movie, and creating the after-effects, requires a high degree of imagination and creativity.
- Create wholesome content. You can create content that you would be proud to watch with others. This is especially important because you cannot, unfortunately, watch many Hollywood movies, sitcoms, or series with your children or people you respect.
- Develop useful skills. As a filmmaker, you learn many useful skills like filming, photography, video editing, sound editing, and poster/thumbnail design, among many others. You can use these skills to find employment or offer freelance services.
How to get started with film-making
Many budding filmmakers are discouraged by the high costs of making movies. However, you can start by making short films or documentaries and posting them on YouTube. This will help you learn what people want and are willing to pay for.
10. Being Out in Nature
Listen to this, Job; stop and consider God’s wonders. –Job 37:14-16
When you read the Bible, you realize that some of the most transformative moments have happened out in the wilderness, for example,
- The temptation of Jesus for 40 days and nights.
- The call of Moses through the burning bush.
- The journey of the children of Israel to the promised land.
This may explain why we tend to get drawn toward nature when we face challenges in our lives.
Why are nature-based hobbies great for Christians?
Nature-based hobbies are great for:
- Appreciating God’s creation. Through nature, we can appreciate the majesty and vastness of God’s work. This helps you realize that despite all the problems, the world is indeed a beautiful place.
- Meditation. The wilderness is a great place to relax and meditate on God’s word or problems you would like to solve. In the stillness of the wilderness, you can hear God speak. You can come up with insights you would have missed in the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Developing a love of nature. When you spend time in nature, you develop a love for and a desire to protect nature. This can lead you into careers like zoology, wildlife conservation, nature advocacy, and astronomy.
How to get started with nature-based hobbies
To get started with a nature-based hobby, you need to choose an activity you think you might enjoy.
Some popular hobbies you can do out in nature include meditation, camping, stargazing, bird watching, hiking, and foraging. See Is Birdwatching The Ultimate Hobby?
He went out to the field one evening to meditate, and as he looked up, he saw camels approaching. –Genesis 24:63
Meditation is often associated with religions like Hinduism, which makes some Christians hesitant to try meditation. However, different religions have their own forms of meditation.
When you look at the Bible, there are many instances of people going out to meditate.
At its core, meditation involves calming the mind so that you can receive insights. This often involves going to a quiet place or out in nature. It may also include various techniques to clear your mind (such as breathing techniques).
Why meditation is a good hobby for Christians
Meditation is good for Christians because:
- It gives you time to understand the word of God. You can use your meditation time to reflect on what you have read in the Bible. This is captured in Psalm 1:2. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.
- It is a way of gaining insights and clarity. When you reflect on issues without distractions or disruptive thoughts, you can gain insights that you can use to improve your life.
- It is therapeutic and stress-busting. Meditation can help you fight stress and anxiety, especially when you reflect on encouraging Bible verses.
How to get started with meditation
To get started with meditation, look for a quiet place and then slow down your breath to bring yourself to a relaxed state. After you relax, you can think of reasons for being thankful to God or reflect on particular verses.
There are many ways of meditating, and you can experiment with different techniques until you find one that works for you.
A plan in the heart of a person is like deep water, But a person of understanding draws it out. – Proverbs 20:5
Journaling is simply writing down your thoughts and ideas for future reference.
There are different types of information you can record in your journal, including.
- Your dreams and goals.
- Your day’s activities.
- Your emotions and feelings.
- Things we are grateful for.
Journaling is a powerful tool for understanding and sorting through our emotions, plans, and ideas.
Why journaling is a great hobby for Christians
Journaling is great for Christians because:
- You can keep track of important information. Every day, you come across new ideas, insights, and facts. Unless you write them down somewhere, you can easily forget them.
- You can use it to track your day. You can use journaling to record activities you did during the day (i.e. diarizing). This helps us to spot areas we need to optimize so that we can make a good account of our days (Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. – Psalm 90:12).
- It is therapeutic. You can use journaling to sort through difficult emotions and thoughts. In fact, therapy techniques like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) use journaling extensively.
How to get started with journaling
To start journaling, you can use pen-and-paper or go the digital route. You can do digital journaling by blogging (in WordPress) or using a Zettelkasten tool like Obsidian, Notion, or Roam.
You can start by writing down ideas from Bible study, Sunday sermons, or books you read.
13. Playing Sports
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. –1 Corinthians 9:25
You should have at least one sport among your list of hobbies because sport-related hobbies are good for your health and for helping you build traits crucial to your Christian journey.
Examples of popular sports you can choose from include soccer, tennis, swimming, rugby, basketball, and baseball.
Why sports hobbies are great for Christians
Sports are great for Christians because:
- They are a fun way to get fit. Playing a sport provides the physical and mental benefits of fitness, such as strengthening the body, protecting against diseases, and helping to regulate weight.
- They teach self-discipline and perseverance. Most sports require commitment, and you need to be able to motivate yourself to continue or stick to a schedule. You can apply these skills in other areas of your life.
- They teach teamwork. Most meaningful activities require you to work with others to achieve a common goal. Whether you are preaching the gospel, starting a company, or studying for a degree, you need to enlist the help of others to help you progress faster.
How to get started with sports
To get started with sports, choose a sport you think you might enjoy. If it is a team sport, look around to see if there is a team you can join.
Fortunately, most places have teams or facilities for various kinds of sports.
For more ideas on sports-related hobbies you can get into, check the following articles:
Christian Hobbies FAQs
Before I conclude, I want to explore some ‘problematic’ hobbies. These have a lot of gray areas, and there are a lot of divergent thoughts among Christians. Therefore, the advice I give here is my personal opinion.
#1. Should a Christian watch TV?
This question covers other forms of media that you watch, such as TV series, movies, and YouTube videos. When deciding whether to watch TV or not, you need to look at the content of the programs you watch.
Many TV shows and movies promote or encourage casual sex, violence, witchcraft, and hyper-consumption. Do you want these habits in your life? Will they make you a better Christian?
Some may argue that this is harmless entertainment that doesn’t change your thoughts or behavior. However, the reality is, whatever occupies your mind regularly, will influence you.
Here is a verse to guide you:
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things”. –Philippians 4:8-9
Therefore, you can watch TV as long as you watch wholesome content. There are plenty of fun, uplifting, and educational programs out there. However, you may have to put in some effort to sift the wheat from the chaff.
Most cable and streaming services allow you to block some types of content, and you should take advantage of such features.
You have to be in control of what you and your family watch. Don’t delegate this power to others who do not share your values.
#1. Should a Christian listen to secular music?
Music can bypass your conscious brain and go directly to your subconscious mind. That is why, when you listen to a particular kind of music regularly, you will tend to identify with the messages in the music.
With this in mind, I believe you can listen to secular music as long as you are conscious of the message. The beats and the melody are just a delivery vehicle for the message.
Unfortunately, a lot of secular music these days is filled with sexual or violent themes. So watch out for what you let into your mind and your heart.
#2. Should a Christian read fiction books?
The same arguments that apply to music, movies, and TV also apply here. It all depends on the type of content.
Some popular books (including children’s books) have heroes who are witches, vampires, or people of questionable character. Such books promote the idea that you can engage in sin without consequences, or that sin gives you an advantage in life.
I would say that you can read fiction books that promote a wholesome lifestyle. There are also plenty of good non-fiction books and biographies that you can incorporate into your life.
#3. Should a Christian play video games?
The main concern many Christians have about video games is that they can get addictive. In fact, some governments are now restricting how much time children can spend on gaming. There is also the issue of violence in gaming.
As long as you are careful about the types of games you play and how much time you spend playing video games, video games can be a fun and engaging hobby. Games can also be a great way to learn new skills (such as a new language).
You can check the ESRB ratings (Entertainment Software Ratings Board) to see what kind of content a particular game might have.
If you were unsure of whether hobbies are useful for you as a Christian, I hope this article has helped clarify a few things or given you a different point of view.
My aim was to show that rather than being a hindrance, hobbies can help you to become a better Christian. As you have seen, there are many activities you can do for fun as a Christian without compromising your faith or values.
If you are struggling to find a hobby that you might enjoy, you can check out the following articles: