When choosing a hobby, you could easily get overwhelmed by all the available options. There are hundreds if not thousands of hobbies and interests that you can get into (see my list of over 1,000 hobbies).
We often start hobbies so that we can improve our lives in one way or another (see the amazing benefits of hobbies).
Hobbies require that you sacrifice your time and money to pursue them. If you cannot clearly see the benefit a hobby brings into your life, then you are not likely to stick with it for long.
So how do you choose hobbies or a set of hobbies that can impact your life the most?
If you want to maximize the impact of hobbies in your life, I suggest doing the following.
- Make a list of all the areas in your life that you would like to improve (finances, health, friendships, etc). Ask yourself: ” What do I need for a well-rounded life?”
- Make a list of all hobbies that you might be interested in. If you want ideas on hobbies you can pursue, check out my list of best hobbies for beginners and a list of 1,000+ hobbies.
- Categorize your list of hobbies based on the areas of your life that need improvement. This makes it easier to pick a hobby based on your mood, needs, and lifestyle.
To make your task easier, I have categorized the best hobbies for beginners into 20 major types based on the role they play in life.
These 20 hobby categories touch on aspects like making money, career, friendships, relaxation, and creativity. This should give you an idea of how you can make your own list.
For each category, I also suggest a hobby that is easy for a beginner to start.
Here Are 20 Types of Hobbies You Need In Your Life (with Examples)
1. Creative Hobbies
Creativity can transform many aspects of your life, but you have to make a deliberate decision to develop it.
When you exercise your creativity, it grows and when you neglect it, it withers to the point where you think you have no creativity at all.
You can exercise creativity by engaging in creative hobbies. Here are the major types of creative hobbies you can get into.
- Fine art hobbies such as painting, drawing, and murals (See Types of Art for more).
- Musical hobbies such as guitar, beatboxing, and choir.
- Performance arts hobbies such as drama, circus, miming, and puppetry.
- Craft hobbies such as modeling, carving, pottery, and crocheting.
- Writing hobbies such as novel writing, poetry, non-fiction writing, and journaling.
The Benefits of Creative Hobbies
You should strive to have creative hobbies because they will help you to:
- Bring joy to others. Everything we enjoy today- movies, music, video games- all come from the creativity of others.
- Bring your best ideas to life. Great joy can come from successfully expressing what is inside you and seeing your ideas come to life.
- Develop discipline and perseverance. To become a master at anything, you have to develop the discipline needed to spend years practicing every day. This self-discipline will serve you well in many other parts of your life.
Examples of Creative Hobbies
Here are some ideas for creative hobbies you can try.
- Playing Guitar
- Wood Carving
- Glass Blowing
The Best Creative Hobby for a Beginner
Writing is a great creative hobby for a beginner because:
- It is cheap and easy to get into. You don’t need any special equipment; neither do you need to pay any membership fees.
- You can use writing in many parts of your life. Most tasks you do at work or school will require good writing skills.
- Most great works begin as writing. Songs, movies, and speeches are all first written down. This means that if you master writing well, you can expand your creativity into many other disciplines.
Further reading: See 150+ Creative Hobbies You Can Try for more great ideas.
2. Money-Making Hobbies
If you are going to spend hours doing something you enjoy, you might as well figure out a way to make some money from it.
Even if it is just a few hundred dollars, it is still something worthwhile. And if you choose your hobbies strategically and put in a lot of effort, you can even make a full-time income doing something you love.
The Benefits of Money-Making Hobbies
Getting a side income from your hobbies is great because:
- It can help you to become more financially secure. You don’t have to worry so much about losing your job.
- You can pay for some luxuries (such as a holiday) without messing up your budget.
- You can eventually turn your hobby into a career and work for yourself.
Examples of Money-Making Hobbies
Here are some great ideas for money-making hobbies.
- Dog Training
- Online Teaching
The Best Money-Making Hobby for a Beginner
Blogging is a great way for beginners to make money with their hobbies and there are many examples of ordinary people making millions by blogging about things they enjoy.
Blogging has many benefits if you are interested in making money online, for example:
- It has low start-up costs. All you need is a good hosting provider and you are good to go. Some hosting companies (such as ChemiCloud) give discounts that enable you to spend around $4 a month to run your blog.
- It does not require much time. You can create a successful blog with one or two hours of blogging a day.
- You can sell your blog. If your blog is making a profit, you can sell it for 30-40 times the value of its monthly profit at places like Motion Invest or Flippa.
Success in blogging, however, takes time and you have to be willing to be patient. If you wish to start a blog, check out my quick-start guide on how to start a blog the right way. You may also want to read my article on how to start a profitable hobby blog.
3. Tech Hobbies
The world runs on tech, and if you don’t keep up with the ever-changing world of technology, you are likely to fall behind.
The way things are going, the future will rely even more on technology. There are lots of new and exciting things that are starting to take root in tech, such as quantum computing, artificial intelligence, blockchain technology, and the Internet of things (IoT).
If these concepts seem like gibberish to you, then it’s time to pick up a tech hobby.
The Benefits of Tech Hobbies
Tech hobbies are important to have in your life because:
- You learn valuable skills. Tech skills are in demand in all kinds of professions. If you want a good job or you want to start a profitable business, you need to embrace tech.
- You avoid exploitation. If you are not tech-savvy, you are likely to get overcharged for simple tasks that you would easily do by yourself. Also, you risk falling for online scams that target people who don’t know how to conduct themselves properly online.
- They open up your world. Tech enables you to connect with people all over the world even if you live in a small town. By being connected, you can learn new things and experience new cultures wherever you are.
Examples of Tech Hobbies
A tech hobby is any hobby that involves activities from fields such as computers, science, and engineering. Here are some great examples of tech hobbies.
- Computer Programming
- Raspberry Pi
- Ethical Hacking
- Video Editing
- 3D Printing
- Digital Map Making
The Best Tech Hobby for a Beginner
Computer programming (or Coding) is one of the most important skills you can acquire if you want to understand the world of tech. It has many benefits such as:
- It makes work easier. Many mundane tasks can be automated so that they don’t take up your valuable time. Tasks that can be easily automated include web scraping, renaming files, sending emails, and posting to social media.
- You can make a side income. You can make good money with programming even if you do it as a hobby. Check out sites like Fiverr to see how people are making money with their programming skills.
- You can teach yourself coding. There are plenty of free and affordable learning materials that you can use to teach yourself coding even if you are broke.
Further reading: Best Programming Languages to Learn
4. Career-Boosting Hobbies
Landing a good job or being invited to an interview depends on how well you market yourself.
Your hobbies can play a critical role in demonstrating your skills and strengths.
However, including hobbies in your resume can come with its challenges. For more on this, I would recommend that you read my article: Should You Include Hobbies in Your Resume?
The Benefits of Career Hobbies
You should pay attention to career-boosting hobbies because:
- They can give you an edge by demonstrating your skills and strengths.
- They help you to connect and network with other people in your field.
- They help others to understand your values and interests. This can help them to determine whether you are a good fit for the opportunities they have.
Examples of Career-Boosting Hobbies
Here are some great ideas for career-oriented hobbies that you can put in your resume.
- Public Speaking
- Digital Marketing
- Social media
For more career hobbies, read: 12 Best Hobbies for A Resume
The Best Career-Boosting Hobby for a Beginner
Public Speaking is a great skill to develop regardless of which career you are in. Public speaking helps you to:
- Become an effective communicator. Most job recruiters look for evidence of good communication skills.
- Look like a leader. When you can articulate issues and problems well, people look to you when they want certain issues addressed.
- Stand out. Many people would rather remain in the shadows because they fear speaking in public. If you can overcome the fear of putting yourself out there, it can open many opportunities for you.
5. Intellectual Hobbies That Make You Smarter
We tend to assume that our intelligence is fixed at birth, but there is a lot of research out there that shows you can increase your IQ by doing certain activities.
When you believe that your level of intelligence cannot change, you shortchange yourself because you will not make an effort to become smarter.
However, if you engage in activities and hobbies that stretch your brain, you will slowly start to see a change in the way you think.
The Benefits of Intellectual Hobbies
Why would you want to invest in becoming smarter? The benefits are many:
- You become better at making decisions. Most problems in life come from making poor decisions. If you learn how to make wise decisions, you can avoid many problems before they arise.
- You become a better problem solver. This helps you to come up with solutions for problems that you cannot avoid.
- You can capitalize on the mistakes of others. Competition at work or in business is a fact of life. You can outlast your competitors by avoiding or taking advantage of their mistakes.
Examples of Intellectual Hobbies
Some great examples of intellectual hobbies include:
- Playing Strategy Games ( such as Chess and Go)
- Learning new things (such as playing musical instruments and languages).
The Best Intellectual Hobby for a Beginner
Reading is one of the best ways for beginners to quickly get smarter because:
- It is cheap and easy to start. All you need is a library card.
- You can leverage knowledge accumulated over centuries. If you don’t learn from others, you are bound to repeat their mistakes.
- There are plenty of books to help you learn almost everything you need in life.
6. Health-Boosting Hobbies
With the fast pace of modern life, our health tends to take a toll. This is unfortunate because a strong and healthy body is one of the best gifts we can have.
However, we can reverse many of our health problems by engaging in hobbies that boost health.
Healthy hobbies can be divided into several types
- Hobbies that help you to get fit such as yoga, running, or walking.
- Hobbies that help you to relax and calm your mind such as meditation, massage, or adult coloring.
- Hobbies that encourage healthy eating such as organic cooking and nutrition.
The Benefits of Health-Boosting Hobbies
Here are some reasons why you might want to incorporate health-boosting hobbies into your life.
- They keep diseases at bay. Many diseases and ailments such as diabetes, heart problems, and back pain are caused by a sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle.
- They can help you to live longer. Not only will you live longer, but you will have a better quality of life in your old age.
- They can save you from costly medical bills. What is the use of working hard to make money if you are going to spend it all on doctors?
Examples of Health-Boosting Hobbies
Here are some great examples of health-boosting hobbies you can try.
- Weight Lifting
- Organic Cooking
The Best Health-Boosting Hobby for a Beginner
Yoga is one of the best health-boosting hobbies for beginners because:
- It is cheap and easy to start. All you need is a mat and some YouTube videos or a cheap online course.
- It has multiple health benefits. Yoga will help you to build strength, balance, and flexibility while at the same time helping you to relax.
- You can do it from home. You don’t have to travel or dress up to do it. This greatly reduces friction and procrastination.
7. Social Hobbies
As the world embraces technology, we risk being isolated in our cocoons unless we deliberately choose to reach out to others.
These days, you can get everything from the comfort of your house. You can have your food and groceries delivered to you (with Uber Eats and Amazon) at the click of a button.
With all these conveniences, loneliness can creep up on you especially if you also work remotely.
If you find yourself detaching from society, you can pick up some social hobbies to help you reconnect, meet new people, and make friends.
The Benefits of Social Hobbies
Why bother with social hobbies? After all, you may feel like you are doing okay as it is. The benefits of social hobbies are plenty but here are a few important ones.
- You can have fun with others. Activities tend to be more fun when done with others. Also, if you face stress at work or at home, a social hobby can provide a momentary escape.
- You can make friends. You can make lasting friendships with people who will stand with you when you encounter tough times.
- You can share your passions. A passion shared is a passion amplified. You can learn from others and others can learn from you.
Examples of Social Hobbies
Here are some great ideas for social hobbies you can start.
- Eating Out
- Book Club
- Being in a Band
- In-Person Classes
- Card Games
The Best Social Hobby for a Beginner
Dancing is a great social hobby for beginners because:
- It can help you to improve your health. Dancing can help you to lose weight, strengthen your body, and improve your balance and coordination. It combines having fun with looking good.
- It is great for dating. Dancing well is an important skill to have if you are planning to start dating. You can have fun as a couple or as a group.
- There are many types of dancing. If you get bored with one kind of dancing, you can always shift to another. Popular types of dancing include hip-hop, ballet, tango, Zumba, and Kizomba.
8. Family-Oriented Hobbies
Family tends to be a big casualty of our busy schedules. We often feel that sacrificing time with our families is necessary if we must provide for them.
But the risk of not making time for your family is that you will wake up one day and find that the people you love most have become strangers to you.
However, hobbies have the potential to bring you closer to your family. But, they can also drive you further away from them.
If your family is important to you, then it makes sense to seek out hobbies and activities that you can do as a family.
Fortunately, there are plenty of hobbies that can help you to do this.
The Benefits of Family-Oriented Hobbies
There are several important reasons why you should invest in family-oriented hobbies especially if you have kids.
- It allows you to bond with your family. You probably don’t see each other much during the week so the weekend is a great opportunity to spend time together.
- You can create shared memories. As you get older, you will remember and cherish the simple things that you did together as a family. It will not be long before the kids are off to college or to start a life of their own.
- It gives you a chance to instill your values. As you spend time with your kids, especially outside the house, they pick up on your values and learn how to deal with the world.
Examples of Family-Oriented Hobbies
Here are some great examples of family-oriented hobbies.
- Backyard Games
- RV and Road trips
- Board Games
The Best Family-Oriented Hobby for a Beginner
Cooking is an excellent beginner hobby to do as a family because:
- It is a practical skill. Cooking is an important skill to learn, especially for kids, as it will serve them well for the rest of their lives.
- It helps you to express your creativity. When you start viewing cooking as a creative activity rather than a chore, it can open up a whole new world to you.
- It helps you to save money. Rather than going out for a meal, why not learn to make restaurant-quality meals at home with your spouse or kids? It will probably taste better and be healthier.
9. DIY Hobbies
A DIY (Do It Yourself) hobby is a hobby that enables you to do common tasks such as repairs and decoration without having to engage a professional.
DIY hobbies will require an investment of your time and money but overall, the benefits outweigh the costs.
The Benefits of DIY Hobbies
Why would you do things by yourself rather than engage a professional? There are several benefits to doing things yourself.
- You save money. Professionals can be expensive and for simple tasks, especially around the house, you are better off learning how to do them yourself.
- You make money. If you get good at DIY skills, you can start helping out people around your neighborhood and make some extra income.
- You learn to express your creativity. You can use your creativity to make things exactly how you want them to be.
Examples of DIY hobbies
Here are some great examples of DIY hobbies that you can try.
- Car Detailing
- Interior Decoration
The Best DIY Hobby for a Beginner
Interior Decoration is a great beginner DIY hobby to pick up because:
- It helps you to express your style. Your home is your sanctuary and you want it to best suit your style, tastes, and values. This way, your home becomes an extension of your personality.
- It helps you to become more creative. Interior décor enables you to explore numerous creative styles when decorating your home. Some popular styles you can try include Scandinavian, Japandi, Mediterranean, and Mid Century.
- It helps you to appreciate beauty. We often take beauty for granted. Doing things yourself helps you to appreciate the hard work that goes into creating beautiful things.
For ideas on DIY projects you can start, check out my article on the best DIY hobbies. In the article, I also provide links to learning resources to get your started in DIY.
10. Pet and Animal Hobbies
Animals have been human companions for centuries, and we have come to rely on them for many of our needs.
Although pets can be quite expensive to maintain, there are many ways that you can still interact with animals without incurring costs.
The Benefits of Pet and Animal Hobbies
Pets and animals, in general, have many benefits including.
- They keep loneliness at bay. If you find it difficult to make friends with other people, try keeping a pet. Your pet will be there for you when you face disappointments in your relationships.
- They can help you deal with stress and mental health issues. There is plenty of research that shows that pets can help you to relax and calm down, especially if you are experiencing emotional turmoil.
- They can help you to make new friends. You can connect with people who have similar pets and share what you learn about your pets with each other.
Examples of Pet and Animal Hobbies
Here are some great examples of pet and animal hobbies.
- Dog Training
- Fish Keeping
- Animal Rescue
- Bird Feeding
- Bee Keeping
- Hobby Farm
- Butterfly Rearing
- Horse Riding
The Best Pet and Animal Hobby for a Beginner
Dog Training is a great hobby to try especially if you own a dog. Some of the benefits of dog training include:
- You interact better with your dog. By understanding your dog better, you learn how to instill behaviors that will make life easier for you and your dog.
- You can make some extra income. Owners of dogs that have behavioral problems are desperate for a solution and you have the opportunity to help them out while making an income.
- You appreciate your dog more. When you see your dog making progress and learning new complicated skills, you gain a new respect and appreciation for your dog.
11. Relaxing and Calming Hobbies
Financial and work-related pressures can bring on a fair amount of stress in your life. Unless you find a way to deal with these stressors, they can pile up and affect other areas of your life.
Therefore, when choosing hobbies, it is important to pick a few that will help you to relax.
The Benefits of Relaxing and Calming Hobbies
Here is why you need to have calming hobbies.
- They help to promote good mental health. Stress can lead to unhealthy thinking patterns that in turn lead to mental health issues.
- They help to promote good health. Stress can lower your immune response and leave you vulnerable to diseases.
- They help promote good relationships. When you learn how to handle stressful situations and conflicts calmly, it can help resolve a lot of problems present in your relationship.
Examples of Relaxing and Calming Hobbies
Here are some great examples of relaxing and calming hobbies that you can start.
- Adult Coloring
The Best Relaxing and Calming Hobby for a Beginner
Meditation is a centuries-old practice that comes with numerous benefits including:
- It helps you to manage troubling thoughts. Mediation uses various techniques to deal with negative thoughts that are responsible for anxiety and fear.
- It helps you to learn how to be present. Meditation trains you to focus on the present and be aware of what is going on around you. Rather than living in the past or the future, you learn to appreciate the present.
- It helps you to become more self-aware. Meditation helps you to know yourself better by reflecting on your values, needs, and goals.
12. Nature Hobbies
With all the ugly things that go on in the world, it is easy to forget that our world is a beautiful and awe-inspiring place.
However, if you are stuck in your house or your office seven days a week, you will hardly get to appreciate what is all around you.
You can fix this by adding a few nature-based activities to your life. Nature is one of the best gifts we have and it is freely accessible to most people.
The Benefits of Nature Hobbies
Here are some good reasons why you need to take up a nature-based hobby.
- You learn to appreciate nature. There is a lot of beauty in nature that we often don’t notice. You can get a lot of joy if you let yourself get awed by nature. Also, the more you appreciate nature, the more likely you are to take care of it.
- There is a lot to explore. Nature is diverse and there are lots of things and places to explore. You can go to your backyard and immediately find fascinating things to see, as long as you know what to look for.
- Nature is calming. If you are stressed, getting out in nature can help you to relax. To feel better immediately, try taking a walk in the woods or watching birds.
Examples of Nature Hobbies
Here are some great examples of nature-based hobbies.
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Watching and Safaris
- Whale Watching
- Nature Photography
- Forest Bathing
The Best Nature Hobby for a Beginner
Bird Watching is one of the best nature hobbies you can have for the following reasons.
- Birds are everywhere. You don’t have to pay for an expensive trip. You just need to go to your backyard or your local park.
- It improves your memory. Having to memorize the different kinds of birds and their calls stretches your brain. You can view it as a gym for your brain.
- It keeps you fit. When birding, you can walk for miles without noticing it because you are so focused on the birds.
13. Unique hobbies
There are many situations in life where you want to stand out and be memorable. For example:
- When going out on a first date.
- When going for a job interview.
- When networking at company events.
Taking up a unique hobby can help you in such times.
However, when picking a hobby, you need to be careful not to veer into weird hobbies (unless that is your intention).
What is the difference between a unique hobby and a weird hobby?
A unique hobby is one that is uncommon to other people. Such hobbies are often difficult to acquire or do well. This makes them rare and memorable.
Weird hobbies, on the other hand, make you stand out because they are strange, eccentric, and unusual, for example, competitive mooing. Their downside is that they can make you appear creepy or people can fail to take you seriously.
The Benefits of Unique Hobbies
Unique hobbies come with many benefits such as:
- They make you a more interesting person. If you feel like you are a boring person, picking up a unique hobby is a great shortcut to becoming cool.
- They open up opportunities. When you stand out, people tend to remember you when opportunities arise.
- They boost your self-esteem. It is quite motivating when people appreciate your unique skills or when you bring joy to others through your talents.
Examples of Unique Hobbies
Here are some great examples of unique hobbies.
- Needle Felting
- Sand Art
- Throat Singing
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Ninja Warrior
The Best Unique Hobby for a Beginner
Learning magic is an excellent beginner hobby if you want to be memorable. It helps you to:
- Spread joy. People break into smiles and laughter when good magic is performed. Magic works especially well with kids.
- Break the ice. When you meet people for the first time, things can get awkward. Magic can help to relieve the tension.
- Impress people. Pulling off a complicated trick can be challenging and will require great creative and problem-solving skills. The more complicated the trick, the more you will wow your audience.
14. Adventurous Hobbies
It almost seems like people are built for adventure. It is in our DNA to take risks, explore new areas, and undertake new challenges.
However, the modern world is designed to keep risk out of most activities and keep life at an even keel. For many people, this leads to boredom and restlessness.
While you generally want to avoid life-threatening risks, there are plenty of hobbies out there that provide an adrenaline rush and are relatively safe (when proper precautions are taken).
The Benefits of Adventurous Hobbies
You need hobbies that will bring a bit of adventure into your life because:
- They inject some excitement into your life. Sometimes you need to get your heart pumping and shake yourself out of your routine.
- They help you to face your fears. Learning how to face your fears is an important step in overcoming them.
- They help create lasting memories. We tend to remember things that scare us in a good way.
Examples of Adventurous Hobbies
Here are some great examples of adventurous hobbies that you can pick up.
- Sky Diving
- Wind Surfing
- Jet Skiing
- Bungee Jumping
- Scuba Diving
- White Water Rafting
- Go Kart Racing
- Rock Climbing
The Best Adventurous Hobby for a Beginner
Scuba Diving is a great adventurous hobby to pick up because:
- You get to explore the underwater world. This is an exciting world that very few people know well.
- You can dive around the world. There are plenty of exotic dive sites around the world that you can explore.
- You learn water safety. Scuba diving teaches you various techniques to be safe in the water.
When proper precautions are taken, scuba diving is relatively safe compared to many other adventurous hobbies.
15. Fun and Entertaining Hobbies
After working hard, we all need something fun to do that can help us to relax. It helps to have a list of recreational activities that you can quickly refer to when the need arises.
Entertaining hobbies are especially important to have when you have special events such as:
- Family gatherings.
- Hanging out with friends.
- Taking the kids out.
The great thing about entertaining hobbies is that they require little to no learning and many are quite affordable.
The Benefits of Fun and Entertaining Hobbies
Some of the benefits of entertaining hobbies include:
- They are great stress busters. Fun hobbies, when done well, can bring out the little child in us. And the joy that comes with them brings temporary relief from the stresses of life.
- They help bring people together. Fun activities help us to reconnect with long-lost friends, relatives, and acquaintances.
- They inject variety into life. Life can be quite monotonous unless you deliberately decide to break out of your usual routine with some fun activities.
Examples of Fun and Entertaining Hobbies
Here are some great examples of fun and entertaining hobbies that you can try.
- RC Racing
- Going to the Circus
- Going to Concerts
- Going to Movies
The Best Fun and Entertaining Hobby for a Beginner
DJing (Disc Jockey) is an excellent entertaining hobby for a beginner to have because:
- It is cheap to get into. You can get started with a laptop and some DJing software before you decide to buy any expensive equipment.
- It helps you to bring the fun, whether it’s a small gathering at home or a huge rave party for your friends.
- It is profitable. You can make a side income by playing gigs at weddings, birthday parties, and other events.
16. Collecting Hobbies
Collecting hobbies involve sourcing, cataloging, and storing items that are of value to the collector.
People collect all kinds of things from expensive items like art and antiques to ordinary items like comics, milk jars, and toys.
The Benefits of Collecting Hobbies
Collecting hobbies are great because:
- They are potentially lucrative. Some collected items such as watches, art, or sneakers can appreciate rapidly in value and leave you with a handsome profit.
- You can connect with others who share your passion. By connecting with other collectors, you can swap items as well as share knowledge.
- You become knowledgeable. Collectors often have profound knowledge about what they are collecting.
Examples of Collecting Hobbies
Some great examples of collecting hobbies include:
- Stamp Collecting
- Coin and Note Collecting
- Quotes Collecting
- Art Collecting
- Sneaker Collecting
- Wine Collecting
- Comic collecting
- Watch Collecting
The Best Collecting Hobby for a Beginner
Collecting quotes is a great beginner collecting hobby to start with because:
- It is cheap. You don’t need to invest a lot of money. All you need is a library card and you can get started.
- It helps you to become wise. Quotes are condensed wisdom from lots of intelligent people. They can guide you in various aspects of your life.
- It doesn’t need space. If you will be curating your quotes online or on your computer, then you don’t need much space for them.
17. Indoor Hobbies
There are times when you are forced to stay indoors because of bad weather or you just want to stay at home and relax.
At times like these, you need to have a variety of hobbies that can keep you engaged without getting bored.
The Benefits of Indoor Hobbies
It is important to have indoor hobbies because:
- You get something to do in winter. Indoor hobbies can help you beat those winter blues.
- You can do them at night. You have 4 to 5 hours at night that you can use on your hobbies.
- You have something to do when you don’t want to go out.
Examples of Indoor Hobbies
Here are some great ideas for indoor hobbies you can start.
- Model making
- Board games
The Best Indoor Hobby for a Beginner
Watching documentaries is a great indoor hobby for beginners because:
- You get to learn while having fun. Many documentaries are entertaining and educative as well.
- It helps you to pick up new interests. If you are looking for a new hobby, documentaries are great sources of inspiration.
- It is cheap. You can get access to lots of free documentaries on YouTube or buy them cheaply on Amazon.
18. Outdoor Hobbies
When choosing a hobby, it is important to include a few outdoor hobbies to take advantage of good weather, especially in summer or spring.
After getting stuck indoors during winter, you want to pick activities that will force you to go out of the house.
The Benefits of Outdoor Hobbies
Outdoor hobbies are important to have because:
- They keep you healthy. Having access to fresh air and Vitamin D can help boost your health.
- They allow you to explore. Every new and interesting thing can only be found if you get out of your house.
- They help you to exercise. Many outdoor hobbies such as biking, hiking, or climbing will help you to keep fit.
Examples of Outdoor Hobbies
Here are some great ideas for outdoor hobbies you can start.
- Outdoor Photography
- Back Yard Games
The Best Outdoor Hobby for a Beginner
An outdoor photography hobby is a great hobby for a beginner because:
- It complements your other outdoor hobbies. Photography integrates well with other hobbies, for example, if you are into sports, you can do sports photography or if you love nature, you can do nature photography.
- It helps you to capture fun moments. Many of the fun activities you do will fade in memory unless you capture them. Photography helps you remember what you did and who you did it with.
- It’s a valuable skill. Photography is a great skill to master because it can help you get a job or employ yourself.
19. Self-Improvement Hobbies
Personal growth is one of the best investments that you can make.
All other types of investments can be wiped out or stolen, but what you learn is yours forever.
You can strategically choose your hobbies to help you to develop all parts of your life (i.e. mental, physical, and relationships).
The Benefits of Self-Improvement Hobbies
Self-improvement hobbies are important to have because they help you to:
- Understand yourself. When you figure yourself out, you not only find inner peace, but you also discover potential areas for growth.
- Grow. Growth does not happen by magic. You need to take control of the process so that you can get to where you want to go.
- Be more valuable to others. When you improve yourself, you can use your newly developed skills and talents to make life better for others.
Examples of Self-Improvement Hobbies
Here are some great examples of self-improvement hobbies that you can pick up.
- Reading self-help books
- Stand-up comedy
- Strength training
- Endurance sports
- Martial Arts
- Strategy games
Further reading: The Best Productive Hobbies
The Best Self-Improvement Hobby for a Beginner
Psychology is a crucial self-improvement hobby to pick up because:
- It helps you to become mentally strong. Psychology gives you the tools and strategies to deal with difficult events in your life.
- It helps you to understand people. By understanding people and their motivations, you can develop skills for creating harmonious relationships.
- It protects you against being manipulated. People use psychological tricks to market to others or manipulate them to do their will. Psychology will help you to notice such tricks.
20. Social Impact Hobbies
It is important to have a few hobbies that help you create a positive change in your community and be a force for good.
To get started, you need to identify areas that you are passionate about, for example:
- The fate of the elderly and the sick
- The environment
- Arts and Culture
Then look for hobbies and activities that will match what you are passionate about.
The Benefits of Social Impact Hobbies
Social impact hobbies are important because they help you to:
- Become a driver of positive change. The good life you live has been made possible by the efforts and sacrifices of others.
- Share your knowledge and skills. If you don’t make use of your talent, knowledge, and skills, they will wither and die.
- Meet like-minded people. These hobbies are great for meeting people who share your passion.
Examples of Social Impact Hobbies
Here are some great examples of social impact hobbies.
- First Aid
- Organic Farming
- Renewable Energy
The Best Social Impact Hobby for a Beginner
Volunteering is a great hobby to have if you want to make an impact in your community because:
- You do something good for others. There are plenty of people in need and by lending a hand; you are making a difference in someone’s life.
- You learn valuable skills. You can learn skills ‘on the job’ without having to pay for them.
- You can include the hobby in your resume. Volunteering activities are a great addition to your CV because they show what you care about. (see The Best Hobbies for a Resume)
I hope you have found a few good ideas that you can use to come up with a list of hobbies that will transform your life.
If this list of 20 types of hobbies feels overwhelming, I suggest you start small. Pick a few hobbies that are easy to get into.
5 Types of Hobbies to Start With
You can focus on 5 main types of hobbies to start with. Choose one hobby for each category.
- A career/ money-making hobby. Examples: Blogging, YouTube, Coding, Home Decoration, Graphic Design, and Crafting.
- A creative hobby. Examples: Painting, Drawing, Writing, Singing, and Drama.
- A health or fitness hobby. Examples: Running, Weight-training, Zumba, Calisthenics, and Aerobics.
- A social hobby. Examples: Dancing, Board/Card Games, Bowling, Special Interest Clubs, and Going Out.
- A relaxing or fun hobby. Examples: Gaming, Listening to Music, Watching Movies, and Reading.
If you are still having trouble finding a hobby you love, read the articles below for ideas.